Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What's Shaking Here?

I'm glad to report the shaking has stopped! Most of you have no doubt heard about the 5.8 earthquake here in the DC area yesterday. It was scary, I can tell you.

We had lots of minor mess, but no serious damage -- a medicine cabinet popped open and spilled forth a selection of health and beauty aids, several framed photos were jiggled off shelves and dressers, wall-hung prints went askew, etc. A couple of vases were tipped from their shelves, spilling water and generally making a bit of mess.

But anything that broke will be easy enough to replace ... the phones came back online relatively quickly ... and all in all, we were really very lucky and I am seriously grateful.

I was in my sewing room when the earthquake hit, so I thought I'd share a sneak peek at what's shakin' there:

Here's a cinch sack I'm working on, a study in black and white with a French Couture theme.


And here's a charming little dress I'm taking apart to upcycle; I love this vibrant purple and acid yellow Java print, and hope to get a couple of bags from it. It's slow going, the seamstress who made this garment was a fine technician, and very careful about backstitching seams, etc. But if I work on it a little each day, I hope to re-purpose the fabric so it can have renewed life.

And finally, because I can't get enough of 'em, more monkeys! This time, in red and black. And spots. And polka dots. And squiggles. I tell ya, these prints make me feel like I'm having more fun than a barrel of monkeys ...



I hope your day goes well, and that the only rockin' and rollin' you have to deal with is what's coming from you iPod!

No comments:

Post a Comment