Friday, October 7, 2011

Day of the Dead Bag: Done and Done!

Finally, it's finished! I've been hoarding these Day of the Dead prints for awhile, wanting to make something special for myself. I'm a huge fan of this kind of imagery, especially when it focuses on La Calavera Catrina, "the elegant skull."

I knew I wanted a bag, and tried out a couple of patterns ... with mixed results. I finally went with this one, Serendipity Studio's Rita Reversible Bag. It's a tad bit smaller than I'd have liked, so if I make it again, I will change that. I have some other changes in mind, too -- particularly the strap. But basically? Great bag!! Pretty time-consuming, but of course I did the most complicated version, with front and back pockets, and contrast edgings, both inside and out.

One of the things I played with on this project was deconstructing the red fabric, and then putting it back together as it originally been ... "the same, but different." I've always been a collagist at heart - bringing things together (in art as in life) is second nature to me. Usually, I am combining different prints/colors/whatever. This time, I decided to just stay with the same piece of yard goods, and see what resulted.

Okay, no more words, just some pix of La Bolsa de Catrina: 





And, perhaps most fun of all, the bag is reversible. I'm totally crushing on this retro lamps print!



I do have some more Day of the Dead fabrics, including an amazing toile print featuring skeletons instead of humans, and some fun skull prints, so some new things may pop up at the Etsy Shop in weeks to come.

1 comment:

  1. @ThatCleverClementine - OMG! I can't believe you found that based on the "Art can't hurt you" quote...yes, that is it - the magnet design is from a painting of his that has the quote over a sofa. Too bad that Fred has passed away. What quintessentially phoenician colors he used! Does that mean you are in Arizona? I am just so impressed that you figured out the artist and help revive my own memories. Too funny!

    Mike
    bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete